Posted on May 30 2018
We all know walking is good for health. However, it seems that all those who commit to walking every day don't reap the same benefits. In fact, some walkers are more fit than others. This is because there's a difference between casual walking or strolling and fitness walking.
What's the difference between strolling and fitness walking?
The key difference is the pace set by each. You can cover around two to three kilometers an hour with a casual stroll. With fitness walking, you cover around twice that much. It's more intense and therefore more beneficial.
What are the benefits of fitness walking?
- The faster pace set by fitness walking burns more calories, therefore it aids in weight-loss.
- It improves your cardiovascular health and lowers your risk of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes.
- Fitness walking helps shed the toxic fat build-up around your belly.
- It’s a full body workout, but it is particularly good for your butt and thighs.
- An hour of walking releases hormones in your system that aid in stress relief and give you a boost of energy.
- Unlike other workouts, you can easily incorporate walking into your lifestyle.
If you’d like to add fitness walking to your lifestyle, here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Buy comfortable sportswear clothes and walking shoes. Your body will heat up and sweat during the walk, therefore choose clothes that wick sweat away from your body while keeping it cool. As for shoes, choose walking shoes made for the purpose rather than casual shoes or sneakers.
- Warm up with strolls before you amp up the pace.
- Remember to hydrate yourself when you feel thirsty.
- Pay attention to your breathing and heart rate. Walk at a pace that allows you to hold a conversation.
- You can download beginners walking guides from the net that’ll help you build your pace over a period of time.